Common Health Problems of Finches ... Finch / Canary Food
There are 10-12 species of parrotfinches. The Gouldian Finch (Chloebia gouldiae or Erythrura gouldiae) is also often included in this genus.
In a published study dated 1995, parrotfinches have been classified in two different groups, namely the "Malaysian" and the "Melanesian" parrot finches.
Group 1 - the "Malaysian" parrot finches.
This group includes:
Tawny-breasted Parrotfinch aka Green-tailed Parrotfinch or Bamboo Parrot Finch, Erythrura hyperythra
- Description: Males have a cobalt blue forehead and forecrown. The face, throat, median areas of underparts and under tail coverts are dark reddish buff-brown. The eyes are brown and the beak is back. The legs and feet are flesh colored. The plumage of the female is overall less vivid.
- Range: Common in Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines
Pin-tailed Parrotfinch Erythrura prasina (featured above)
- Description: These finches are green with blue heads and two different color phases:
- A red breast and the less common yellow breast.
- Range: Common in Malaysia, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Burma, and Thailand and most of Southeast Asia where they are sometimes viewed as a pest due to the damage they do to rice crops.
- Breednig: Females use grass, coconut husks, and moss to build nests high up in the trees to lay 3-6 eggs.
Green-faced Parrotfinch aka Manila Parrot Finch, Erythrura viridifacies
- Found in northern Philippines, around Luzon, Negros and Panay
Group 2 - the "Melanesian" parrotfinches.
This group is sub-divided as shown:
Tricolored Parrotfinch or Forbes Parrotfinch, Erythrura tricolor
- Found in Indonesia and Timor-Leste
Papuan Parrotfinch, Erythrura papuana
- Common in Indonesia's Papua province and Papua New Guinea
Red-eared Parrotfinch or Coloria Parrotfinch, Erythrura coloria
Blue-faced Parrotfinch, Erythrura trichroa
Red-throated Parrotfinch, Erythrura psittacea
Samoa Parrotfich or Pink-billed Parrotfinch aka Red-Headed Parrot Finch, Red-Headed Parrot-Finch, Red-Headed Parrotfinch, Erythrura cyaneovirens cyaneovirens. (nominate species)
- Found in island of Viti Levu, Fiji.
Royal Parrotfinch, Erythrura cyaneovirens regia
Seed-eating Royal Parrotfinch aka Red-headed Parrotfinch, Erythrura cyaneovirens serena
- Description: Red head; the back and abdomen are green.
- Range: Aneitemn Island, New Hebrides
Red-headed Parrotfinch (no other name known), Erythrura cyaneovirens efatensis
- Found in New Caledonia, Samoan Islands and common on Efate, also known as Île Vate - an island in the Republic of Vanuatu (Shefa Province)
Red-headed Parrotfinch, Erythrura cyaneovirens gaughrani
Peale Parrot Finch or Fiji Parrotfinch, Erythrura cyaneovirens peali
- Common in Fiji (featured below)
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
BeautyOfBirds strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!