The genus Eclectus is composed of nine (possibly ten) subspecies, with differences in size, coloring, and natural range. Want to know more visit Beauty of Birds and access all the information.
The genus Eclectus is composed of nine (possibly ten) subspecies, with differences in size, coloring and natural range.
Of these subspecies, the following four are the most commonly seen in captivity:
- Red-sided Eclectus (Eclectus roratus polychloros)
- Native Range: New Guinea mainland
- ID: blue eye rings, no yellow tail tips
- Grand Eclectus (Eclectus roratus roratus)
- Native Range: Southern Moluccan Islands also known as Maluku Islands, Moluccas or the Spice Islands
- Solomon Island Eclectus (Eclectus roratus solomonensis)
- Native Range: Solomon Islands (east of New Guinea)
- Vosmaeri Eclectus or Vos Eclectus (Eclectus roratus vosmaeri)
- Native Range: Northern Moluccan Islands
- ID: No blue eye rings. Yellow tail tips.
Significantly less common and unknown in the United States are the:
- Biaki or Biak Island Eclectus (Eclectus roratis biaki)
- Native Range: Biak Islands – northwest of New Guinea
- Sumba Island Eclectus aka Cornelia’s Eclectus (Eclectus roratus cornelia)
- Natige Range: Sumba Islands in Indonesia
- Australian Eclectus Parrot or Macgillivray Eclectus (Eclectus roratus macgillivrayi)
- Native Range: Australia, specifically the Cape York Penninsula
- At an average length of 37 cm or 14.5 inches, this is the largest of all Eclectus species
- Tanimbar Islands Eclectus or Riedeli’s Eclectus (Eclectus roratus riedeli)
- New Guinea Red-sided Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus roratus polychloros)
- Native Range: New Guinea
- Aru Island Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus roratus aruensis
- Native Range: Aru Islands (southwest of New Guinea)
- Larger than the Red-sided Eclectus. The male has red eyes.
- Westerman’s Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus roratus westermani) – doubtfully valid.
- ID: At an average length of 29.25 cm or 11.5 inches, this is (together with the Riedeli’s Eclectus) the smallest of all Eclectus species.
Eclectus Roratus Female Identification
Ceram Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus r. roratus) – Grand Eclectus
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus cornelia aka Lorius roratus cornelia … English: Cornelia’s Eclectus Parrot … Dutch: Cornelia’s Edelpapegaai … German: Cornelia Edelpapagei … French: Perroquet eclectus de Cornelia
Distribution: Sumba in the Lesser Sunda Islands
Halmahera Eclectus (Vosmaeri Eclectus)
Queensland Eclectus Parrots or Macgillivray Eclectus
Oceanic Eclectus Parrot (Eclectus infectus) is an extinct parrot species which occurred on Tonga and Vanuatu (possibly on Fiji)
Red-sided Eclectus aka New Guinea Eclectus
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus riedeli … English: Riedel’s Eclectus Parrot … Dutch: Riedels Edelpapegaai … German: Riedels Edelpapagei … French: Perroquet eclectus de Riedel
Distribution: Tinimbar Islands
Solomon Island Eclectus aka Solomon Eclectus
Vosmaeri’s Eclectus aka Halmahera Eclectus Parrot
Westerman’s Eclectus Parrots: It is unknown if this is a real subspecies or an aviary bred bird.
Description: The Westerman’s Eclectus hen has a dark smoky abdomen and is smaller than the females of the other sub-species, which feature blue or purple abdomens. Identification of the males in the various subspecies is much more difficult to determine. The usual method being differences in the size of the bird and the shade of green in their plumage.
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus westermani … English: Westerman’s Eclectus Parrot … Dutch: Westermans Edelpapegaai … German: Westermans Edelpapagei … French: Perroquet eclectus de Westerman
Distribution: only known by aviary specimens
Taxonomy and Recommended Websites:
Family:Psittacidae … Subfamily: Psittacinae
Genus: Scientific: Eclectus … English: Eclectus Parrots … Dutch: Edelpapegaaien … German: Edelpapageien … French: Perroquet eclectus … CITES II: Endangered Species
More Eclectus Information
- Eclectus Information (Personality, Care, Diet)
- Eclectus Species
- Eclectus Sub-species Identification
- Talking Ability (compared to other species)
- Common Diseases / Conditions of the Eclectus Parrot
- Eclectus Foods
- Purchasing an Eclectus Parrot
- Cages / Flights – Recommendations / Set Up Ideas