Penguin General Info … Penguin Species & Photo Gallery
The genus Eudyptes (“good diver”) contains six living species of penguins collectively known as crested penguins.
- Family Spheniscidae
- Fiordland Penguin, Eudyptes pachyrhynchus
- Snares Penguin, Eudyptes robustus
- Erect-crested Penguin, Eudyptes sclateri
- (Southern) Rockhopper Penguin, Eudyptes chrysocome
- Southern Rockhopper Penguin (Indian and Pacific Ocean), Eudyptes chrysocome filholi
- Southern Rockhopper Penguin (Atlantic Ocean), Eudyptes chrysocome chrysocome
- Northern Rockhopper Penguin or Mosely’s Penguin, Eudyptes (chrysocome) moselyi
Royal Penguin, Eudyptes schlegeli – possibly just a morph (genetic mutation) of E. chrysolophus
- Macaroni Penguin, Eudyptes chrysolophus
- Chatham Islands Penguin, Eudyptes sp. : The Chatham Islands Penguin (Eudyptes sp.) was a species of penguin. It is known only from subfossil bones, but may have come extinct as recently as the late 19th century as a bird kept captive at some time between 1867 and 1872 might refer to this taxon. It appears to have been a distinct species, with a thin, slim and low bill. May
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.