Distribution / Range
These are mainly resident African species, but the migratory Short-toed Eagle breeds from the Mediterranean basin into Russia, the Middle East and India, and winters in sub-Saharan Africa and east to Indonesia.
Snake eagles are found in open habitats like cultivated plains arid savannaha, but require trees in which to build a stick nest. The single egg is incubated mainly or entirely by the female.
Circaetus eagles have a rounded head and broad wings.
Diet / Feeding
They prey on reptiles, mainly snakes, but also take lizards and occasionally small mammals.
Species in taxonomic order
- Short-toed Eagle Information, Circaetus gallicus / Short-toed Eagle Photo Gallery
- Black-chested Snake-eagle, Circaetus pectoralis – sometimes included in C. gallicus
- Beaudouin’s Snake-eagle, Circaetus beaudouini – sometimes included in C. gallicus
- Brown Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinereus
- Southern Banded Snake-eagle or Fasciated Snake-eagle, Circaetus fasciolatus
- Banded Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinerascens
Copyright: Wikipedia. This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.