If you want to know about the Species and Ranges of Wood Pigeons aka Common Wood Pigeons, visit Beauty of Birds and get all the information related to that.
(Columbidae – Please see also Doves)
Subspecies and Ranges
- European Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus palumbus – Linnaeus, 1758) – Nominate Race
- Range: Breed in Europe ranging east to western Siberia and Iraq. Winter south in Northern Africa.
- Azores Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus azorica – Hartert, 1905)
- Range: Eastern and central Azores (an island group located in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean).
- Asian Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus casiotis – Bonaparte, 1854)
- Range: Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan to northern Afghanistan and Pakistan, as well as northwestern India and Nepal in South Asia.
- North African Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus excelsa – Bonaparte, 1856)
- Range: Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia in Africa.
- Iranian Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus iranica – Zarudny, 1910)
- Range: Southern Transcaspia, northern and western Iran.
- Madeiran Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus maderensis – Tschusi zu Schmidhoffen, 1904) – Extinct Species
- Formerly occurred in the montane forests of Madeira – a Portuguese archipelago.
Please Note: The articles or images on this page are the sole property of the authors or photographers. Please contact them directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.