Status in the Wild / Distribution:
The Sepik Lorikeets (Charmosyna josefinae sepikiana) are endangered in their natural habitat in the mountains of Sepik region, Western Highlands and Papua New Guinea.
Lories as Pets or in Aviculture:
Due to their endangered status, any suitable specimen that cannot be released back into their natural habitat (native range) should preferably be placed into a well-managed breeding program to ensure the continued survival of this species.
Genus: Scientific: Charmosyna … English: Honey Lorikeet … Dutch: Honingpapegaaien … German: Zierloris … French: Loriquet de miele
Species: Scientific: Charmosyna josefinae sepikiana … English: Sepik Lorikeet … Dutch: Sepik Josephine’s Lori … German: Sepik Josephinenlori … French: Loriquet de Sepik
Other Relevant Web Resources
- Photos of the Different Lory Species for Identification … Listing of Species
- Distribution Maps of Lories and Lorikeets
- Lories and Lorikeets in Aviculture
- Feeding and Housing Your Lories and Lorikeets
- Diseases of Lories / Lorikeets and Health Care Program
- Special Challenges of Lories and Lorikeets: Training and Behavioral Guidance