The Yellow-naped Parrot or Yellow-naped Amazon Parrot (Amazona ochrocephala auropalliata or Amazona auropalliata) is an Amazon parrot that is by most considered to be a subspecies of the Yellow-crowned Parrot.
Distribution / Status
Yellow-napes are endangered in their natural habitat which can be found along the Pacific Slope of Central America, in Southern Mexico and North-western Costa Rica.
Deforestation is reducing the number of these parrots in the wild together with illegal removal of young for the pet trade.
- Size: 12-15 inches (~35 cm)
- Average weight: 480 to 680 grams
- Their noticeable features are the green forehead and crown and a yellow band across the lower nape and hind neck. Some birds develop more yellow than others. Others don’t develop any yellow feathers at all. Yellow feathers may increase with maturity. Yellow feathers are also at the back of the neck (nape).
- Dark gray beak with the base of the upper beak being somewhat lighter.
- Grey feet.
- A rare blue mutation of the Yellow-naped Amazon is known to exist, in which the entire body is bluish -turquoise in color (photos below).
- Average Clutch Size: 2 – 3 eggs
- Incubation: 26 – 28 days
Diet / Feeding
Its natural diet consists of various fruits, berries, greens, nuts and seeds.
Personality / Pet Potential:
Yellow Napes are loved for their intelligence, clowny personality, and impressive talking and singing abilities, enhanced by their great sense of pitch. When talking, they display an amazingly human-sounding voice.
A healthy amazon parrot can live 50 to 60 years or even longer with good nutrition and care.
Some striking mutations of the Yellow Nape have occurred in aviaries, please refer to the below photos of beautiful Blue Mutation Yellow Napes.
Photos provided by: Top: Jane Beasley;; Bottom photo: Rand B Aviary – Breeder and Parrot Connoisseur … Blue Mutation Photos by: Lien Luu Birds New York – who has a private aviary located in New York City.
More Amazon Parrot Information
- General Information about Amazon Parrots
- Amazon Parrots as Pets
- Amazon Parrot Species
- Amazon Parrot Photo Gallery
- Amazon Health Problems / Diseases
- Amazon Diet & Nutrition
- Incubation Data
Species: Scientific: Amazona auropalliata aka Amazona ochrocephala auropalliata …English: Yellow-naped Amazon, Golden-naped Amazon … Dutch: Geelnekamazone, Goudnekamazone … German: Gelbnackenamazone … French: Amazone à nuque jaune
Distribution: Bay Islands, Honduras, North-eastern Nicaragua
Species: Scientific: Amazona ochrocephala parvipes … English: Honduras Yellow-naped Amazon … Dutch: Honduras Amazone … German: Rotbug Gelbnackenamazone … French: Amazone de Parvipes – CITES II – Endangered Species
Roatán Yellow-naped Amazons:
Distribution: Islands of Roatán, Barbareta and Guajana, North Honduras
Species: Scientific: Amazona ochrocephala caribae … English: Roatán Yellow-naped Amazon … Dutch: Roatán Geelnekamazone … German: Roatán Gelbnackenamazone … French: Roatán amazone à jaune nuque – CITES II – Endangered Species